Legal Reasoning section is extremely important part of CLAT exam. Its importance can be inferred from the fact that when there is tie, seats will be allotted to the candidates on the basis of their score in Legal Reasoning section. It comprises of 50 questions. All questions carry 1 mark each. In order to score well, a candidate must not spend more than 35 minutes on this section along with the accuracy of at least 90%.
This article will highlight complete details about Legal reasoning section in upcoming CLAT 2017.
Legal Aptitude section is divided into 3 sections:
- Legal Reasoning
- Legal Facts
- Legal G.K.
1. LEGAL REASONING
The main aim of this section is to judge student’s legal aptitude. Students are expected to apply legal principles to the factual situation. Candidates interest towards study of law, research aptitude and problem solving ability is also judged through this section.
Major topics which are repeatedly covered in previous CLAT papers are as follows:
- Indian Penal Code
- Law of Torts
- Law of Contract
Following points must be kept in mind when attempting Legal Reasoning:
- Do not assume anything on your own.
- Strict application of the principle.
- Always follow the principle. Principle is always right.
- Always pick the option which is closes to the principle.
- Do not fall into an emotional trap.(i.e. do not pick any option out of emotion or just because you think is right.)
- Eliminate options to reach to the correct option.
- Do not pick up preachy answer choices i.e moral perspectives etc.
2. LEGAL FACTS
Legal facts comprise of direct law based questions. This section mainly focuses on:
- Fundamental rights
- Directive principles
This section requires good knowledge of landmark judgements and amendments.
List of following topics should be prepared beforehand to ease in your preparation:
- Important Fundamental rights
- Important Amendments
- Important Judgements
- Recommendations & Chairpersons of law commissions
3. LEGAL GK
The best source of preparing legal GK is a good financial newspaper. Newspaper will not only help you to prepare Legal GK but will also be helpful for GK section which comprises of 50 marks in CLAT exam.
There is no need to follow so many newspapers. You can go through 1-2 newspapers but make sure you read relevant columns in the newspaper.
LEGAL REASONING BOOKS FOR CLAT 2017
- Lexis Nexis CLAT study kit and CLAT Guide
- Legal aptitude and Legal reasoning by A.P. Bhardwaj
- Universal LLB Entrance Guide
Must read: Best books for CLAT
TIME MANAGEMENT FOR LEGAL APTITUDE SECTION
Students should plan well in advance how much time they need to spend on this section. According to PrepLadder’s Experts, following time management should be followed:
- Total time to allocate to this section – 25 to 35 minutes
- Direct questions- 30-35 seconds
- Tricky questions- 40 seconds to maximum 1 minute.
We hope by now you are aware of the important topics to be covered in Legal reasoning section in CLAT exam. Prepare this section thoroughly, it will help you fetch maximum marks in upcoming CLAT 2017.
Also read: 8 Tips to Finish 200 Questions in 2 Hours