Blood relation with seating arrangement falls under the category of difficult seating arrangement questions. Questions from this topic have appeared in the SBI-PO 2016 Prelims and Mains & IBPS PO Prelims and Mains 2016 Exam. So we can expect a similar trend in SBI-PO and IBPS-PO Prelims and Mains in 2017 as well.
Tips to Solve Seating Arrangement -Blood Relation Questions
Such questions can be really scoring if attempted with the correct strategy. Candidates generally do not prefer to attempt these questions since they find them difficult and time-consuming. A common problem which is faced by most of the candidates is that they fail to identify the starting points and connecting dots in such questions.
We have already shared a detailed tutorial on how to solve questions on circulr seating arrangement. Here is a tutorial on how to solve this combination type of question.
Shortcuts and tips to solve Seating Arrangment-Blood Relations Questions:
- Focus on Family-tree first: You can not successfully start placing people in the seating arrangement if you don’t know the family tree. Usually people in the seating arrangement are referred to as: wife of A, son of B. So it is better if you know who is who and then start with the seating arrangement. To do this, read all conditions in the question carefully from the beginning and ignore all statement about who is sitting where.
- Find starting points: Starting Points help in identifying the position of specific persons. Generally, the question begins with negative information which doesn’t highlight the exact position. Remember, statements starting with “Neither/Nor” can only reveal relative positions and can never be a starting point. You must read all the statements carefully to be able to arrive at the starting point.
- Find connecting dots: Connecting dots are small pieces of information which help in the further arrangement based on the position of people already seated.
- Solve questions purely on blood relations first: If you are unable to solve the final seating arrangement but have already drawn the family tree, the answer the relevant questions. Don’t leave the entire block just because you couldn’t solve it completely.
Let’s apply these tips and shortcuts to a solved example.
Solved Example of seating arrangement- blood relations:
Directions (Q 1-4): Study the directions carefully and answer the questions that follow:
P, Q, R, S, T, U, V and W are eight members of a family. The members belong to three different generations. Out of the 8 members, there are three married couples. All the members are sitting around a circular table facing the centre but not in the same order
- S and U are married couple. S, the wife of U, sits second to the left of her husband
- R and P are offspring of S. P is not an immediate neighbor of his mother
- Only one person is sitting between R and his niece, V but that person is not V’s father
- T sits third to the right of his uncle P, but neither to the opposite nor to the immediate left of his father
- V is not an immediate neighbor of her aunt Q. No three females are sitting together
- R and his sister-in-law are immediate neighbors.
Step 1: Only focus on blood relations first and ignore everything else. Take care of ‘his’ and ‘her’ used in the directions to determine the gender of each family member. In the family tree, circle the names of males
The required family tree is as following:
Step 2: Make a table to keep track of who is husband and wife of whom.
Before solving questions on seating arrangement, solve all questions that are only based on blood relations. For example:
Q1. Who among the following is V’s father?
- a) U
- b) P
- c) W
- d) Q
- e) Can’t be determined
Answer is (b) P.
Q2. Calculate the number of females in the family?
- a) One
- b) Three
- c) Five
- d) Can’t be determined
- e) None of these
Answer is (e) as the number of females = 4
Step 3: Now we will solve question on seating arrangement. But for that we have to solve the seating arrangement
The starting point here is:
S, the wife of U, sits second to the left of her husband
After connecting all the dots we get the following seating arrangement:
Now we can start solving all questions on seating arrangement.
Q3. What is the position of S with respect to her granddaughter?
- a) Second to the right
- b) Fourth to the left
- c) Third to the right
- d) Second to the left
- e) None of these
Answer: Grand-daugher of S is V. S is third to the right of V. Hence answer is (c)
Q 4. Who among the following is sitting opposite his wife ?
- a) U
- b) R
- c) P
- d) T
- e) None
Answer is b) R
We are hopeful that our tips will surely help the aspirants in preparing circular seating arrangement based questions.
View Offer Details