Dec 21, 2022
Enhance your UPSC CSE preparation with our daily dose of Current Affairs wherein we discuss topics that make news at National and International level. In today's edition of our Current Affairs, we will discuss COP-15 Historical Deal of Convention on Biodiversity. The topic's relevance to the UPSC CSE syllabus is mentioned below.
For Prelims: General issues on Environmental ecology, Biodiversity, and Climate Change
COP-15, Convention on Biodiversity, biodiversity
For Mains: GS-III- Conservation, Environmental Pollution and Degradation
Key features of the deal, the importance of the Convention on Biodiversity, and Biodiversity
Recently concluded COP-15 of the Convention on Biodiversity has inked a historical deal to save the biodiversity of the earth.
How does biodiversity vary in India? How is the Biological Diversity Act 2002 helpful in the conservation of flora and fauna? (UPSC Mains 2018)
|About Convention on Biodiversity:|
• It is a legally binding treaty signed by all the nations (except US) in 1993.
• It has 3 main objectives; the conservation of biological diversity, the sustainable use of the components of biological diversity and the fair and equitable sharing of the benefits arising from using genetic resources.
• It has a secretariat in Montreal.
• The Parties to the treaty meet at regular intervals as COP.
• Montreal Protocol on Biosafety was signed under CBD in 2000 which aims to protect biodiversity from potential risks posed by living modified organisms.
• At the COP10 conference in Nagoya, Japan, in 2010, the Nagoya Protocol on Access to Genetic Resources and the Fair and Equitable Sharing of Benefits Arising from their Utilization (ABS) was adopted.
• The Aichi Targets for biodiversity are a collection of 20 challenging but attainable goals that are officially known as the "Strategic Plan for Biodiversity 2011-2020".
• India passed the Biological Diversity Act in 2002 to implement the CBD's provisions.
News source: Indian Express
If you want to enhance your exam preparation and crack the UPSC CSE examination, download the PrepLadder app and get access to the finest study material for UPSC curated by India’s top UPSC faculty. You can also join our Telegram channel for UPSC coaching and to stay updated with the latest information about the UPSC exam.
Get quick access to the latest happenings across the globe. Articles revolving around factual data that aims to boost your UPSC CSE preparation and make your dreams become a reality!
Today’s edition of our Current Affairs will comprise a discussion on What do waste-to-energy projects do. Read further to upgrade your UPSC CSE k...
Today’s edition of our Current Affairs will comprise a discussion on Pre-arrest Bail. Read further to upgrade your UPSC CSE knowledge and also un...
Our today's edition of Current Affairs is here. Read to know more about Abolition of the Death Penalty. Also, find the topic's relevance to the U...
The most popular search terms used by aspirants