Sep 13, 2022
Congratulations on clearing the UPSC Prelims 2022 exam and making it this far. This blog post will go through some last-minute tips to help you crack UPSC Mains 2022.
The second phase of the UPSC CSE 2022 examination is just a few days away. You must take special care to polish your preparation and make the most of the remaining days during this time.
Around 11.52 lakh candidates appeared for the Prelims 2022 exam this year, and out of those, only 13,090 candidates cleared the exam and will be sitting for the Mains 2022 exam.
At this stage, a large chunk of the candidates have been filtered out, and now you will be competing with candidates on an almost equal level with yours. You will need to achieve incredible scores to get ahead in the Mains exam.
To help you with that, we have 5 last-minute tips for you to ace the UPSC Mains 2022 exam.
If you are looking for tips and tricks to ace this exam, here is the first one. Whenever you have the urge to study something extra to score more marks, then avoid it. Right before the exam, it is best to avoid studying anything new.
The chances of you remembering anything new are low. Trust that you have prepared your best and are going to ace the exam with whatever you have studied till now.
Revision is your religion during the last few days before the exam. Spend your time revising whatever you have studied. By now, you should be able to tell the areas you are weak in and the subjects you are strong in.
Go through the facts, figures, dates, and names as they are easy to forget. Spend more time on high-yield topics to ensure you do not lose out on scoring marks in the exam.
In case you want to revisit any information about UPSC Mains preparation, here is a list of articles that will help you. Here you will find other tips and tricks to help you gain an edge over others.
|Preparation Strategy for GS Paper-I UPSC Mains||Preparation Strategy for GS Paper-II UPSC Mains||Preparation Strategy for GS Paper-III UPSC Mains|
|Tips to Prepare Ethics Paper for UPSC Mains||How to Solve Case Studies for Ethics Paper - UPSC Mains 2022||Moral Thinkers and Philosophers from India and the World|
|Important Topics of World History UPSC Mains 2022||How to Prepare for Compulsory Indian Language Paper for UPSC Mains||How to Prepare Governance for UPSC CSE Mains|
|How to Prepare Indian Society for UPSC Mains||Tips to Prepare Disaster Management for UPSC Mains||How to Use Maps & Flowcharts for UPSC Mains Answer Writing|
|Tips to Prepare Essay Writing for UPSC Mains|
This is the time to refer to your self-made notes. Notes help you revise large topics faster while remembering everything important with ease.
Avoid going back to your books, as that will only slow down your revision and possibly confuse you. Also, do not try to retain any new information nor attempt to cram any information. It is always better to have a conceptual understanding rather than cramming, as you are more likely to forget the latter.
If you have the time, we highly recommend you attempt 1 or 2 mock tests before the exam.
There are many reasons why Mock Tests are important for your UPSC Mains preparation, but here we shall highlight two major ones.
First, the obvious reason is that writing tests will polish your writing skills and help you understand how to write effectively. It will help you connect events, people, and history and craft convincing arguments that impress the examiner.
The second reason is that it is one of the ways you earn confidence in yourself, which is equally important as writing a good answer. If you lack confidence while writing the exam, you are likely to forget the information you already know.
At the same time, do not pressure yourself to solve mock tests until the last minute. You must be at your best to clear the UPSC Mains 2022 exam. The mind needs to relax a bit before any exam so that it can process and register information to help you remember better. It’s like getting a good night’s sleep and waking up refreshed.
This is the last tip, but it is as important as any other. If you think hard, you will be able to recall countless examples of aspirants who studied as hard as any other person but failed to clear the preliminary exam. One of the reasons behind their failure is a lack of confidence and negative self-talk.
A positive mindset is a key to success before any exam.
Besides the tips mentioned above, our UPSC Dream Team has a few tips to share with you. Let’s see what those are.
1. Read every question carefully
2. Maintain the speed from the start
3. Don't leave any questions unanswered
4. Use enough examples, flowcharts, and committee reports in your answers
1. Do not exceed the word limit
2. Don't leave any questions unanswered
3. Add more points of analysis in your answers
4. Avoid repeating the same points by employing different physiology
1. Maintain your emotional balance in the last few days. Don't brawl with anyone, and never argue with the invigilator.
2. Maintain a happy state of mind. Keep smiling while writing the exam. Try to enjoy the paper.
3. There are nine written papers. Never revisit or discuss the paper that you have given. It can impact your next paper by demotivating you.
4. Eat like a Yogi and not like a bhogi. Take light, healthy fresh, home-cooked meals.
5. Focus on quality rather than quantity of words while writing the answer. Short, relevant, and we'll organize answers with clarity that will fetch you marks rather than just filling the sheets till the end.
1. Aspirants need to focus on current issues, especially for GS-2 and GS-3, which is pretty dynamic
2. Special focus on Judiciary and role of Parliament along with RPA provisions
3. Major social issues like poverty, education, health, and related interventions by state and civil society are a hot favorite of UPSC examiners.
4. Avoid using a new source at this time and focus on revision from your own notes
5. Try not to cross the world limit or write on the margins of the question cum answer booklet to avoid penalty marks in mains.
1. Revision of grey & untouched relevant topics & themes of GS (non-current) & optional subjects.
2. Rapid revision of all relevant current issues (GS) from Dec. 2021 - Jan. 2022 to the end of August 2022
3. Smart contemplation over Essay pointers & ideas
4. Meticulous consideration of maps, sketches, diagrams, graphical representations, etc. to be used in answers of GS, optional subject & Essay
Last but not least, eat and sleep well before the Mains exam. Get a good night’s sleep before the day of the examination and eat a healthy meal the night before and the morning of the Mains exam. This will give you an edge and help your brain retrieve information faster and more accurately.
That’s it! We hope you use these tips to elevate your preparation academically and mentally.
PrepLadder, a UPSC CSE exam preparation leader, wishes you all the best for the upcoming Mains 2022 examination.
Keep following our posts to stay updated with the latest information about the UPSC CSE exam. You can also join our Telegram channel for UPSC exam preparation to stay ahead of the competition.
Own Your Dream
Arindam is a Content Marketer who looks after the Medical Super Specialty segment, specifically the NEET SS category, at PrepLadder. He aims to help aspirants crack exams and realize their dreams through his work.
The most popular search terms used by aspirants