Simplify Your Medicine Preparation and ace NEET-SS

Comprehensive, effective and high-quality content to ace NEET-SS - Medicine

NEET-SS Medicine: Important Books and Expected Exam Pattern

Apr 29, 2021

NEET-SS is a single-window entrance examination for all Super Specialty DM/MCh courses in the country, NBE i.e. National Board of Examination conducts this exam. Around 40% of the questions in the exam are from all the eligible feeder broad speciality course(s). The remaining 60% are asked from the super speciality course selected by the candidate.

This blog consists of all the important books to be focused on for this exam and moreover what would be the expected pattern for the NEET SS exam.

NEET-SS Medicine exam. Important Books and expected exam pattern

NEET SS 2021 Expected Exam Pattern

A NEET SS aspirant has the liberty to choose a maximum of two super specialities for which they are eligible in NEET SS 2021. Please note that there will be a separate question paper for each of the super speciality courses or clubbed groups. The detailed exam pattern for the NEET SS 2021 is mentioned below:

1.The exam will be divided into two parts: Part A and Part B. 40% (40 Questions) of the total questions will be asked from all the eligible feeder broad speciality course(s).

2. The remaining 60% (60 Questions) will be asked from the super speciality course selected by the candidate at the time of online submission of the application form.

3. Part A will comprise questions from only one broad speciality. For Super-speciality programs having multiple feeder broad speciality courses, Part-A will comprise questions from all the eligible feeder broad speciality courses.

4. For Part B, questions will be asked of PG Exit level and will include topics from clinical practice and basic sciences as applied to the concerned super-speciality.

5. The time allocated for Part A is 45 minutes while the time allocated to Part B will be 60 minutes.



Mode of Examination


Type of Questions


Number of Questions


Languages of Question Paper


Mark for each correct answer

4 Mark

Negative Marking

Yes (25% i.e 1 Mark)

Maximum Marks

100 Marks

Duration of Paper 1

 1.45 Hours

Duration of Paper 2

3.30 Hours


Important books to be followed for NEET SS Medicine Exam

Given below are the answers to all your questions regarding the books you need to follow to start your NEET SS Medicine Exam preparation journey

1. Harrison's textbook of Internal Medicine

According to PrepLadder's analysis from the previous years' exams, direct questions have been asked from Harrison's textbook of Internal Medicine that included the main chapters. As per analysis, questions were seen directly from Harrison's sentences or paragraphs. Thus, it is advisable to focus on "Harrison".

2. Book of MCQs by Prof. Ajay Mathur

The book of MCQs by Prof. Ajay Mathur is based on Harrison's. It comprises system-wise & chapter wise coverage of MCQs from Harrison. One should emphasize this book along with Harrison's Textbook of internal medicine. It is surely going to benefit you the most.

3. MCQ books in Medicine by Deepak Marwah & Mudit Khanna

The MCQ book by Deepak Marwah is another book of choice that includes recently asked NBE pattern MCQs for postgraduate entrance examinations along with image-based questions.

At last, we would again suggest you have crystal clear concepts of Harrison's Textbook of Internal Medicine along with MCQs book by Prof. Ajay Mathur based on Harrison. One should also read the MCQ book by Deepak Marwah as it contains the latest NBE pattern questions.

Hope this blog will help you in your preparation. Prepare wisely.

Keep Following PrepLadder!

Read more:

NEET SS Medicine: List of Important Topics

-Why should doctors consider a Super Speciality degree?

-NEET SS Preparation Tips


Why wait more? Start your learning journey now.

    Download the app img

    Enter your phone number to get the download link of our mobile app.


    © 2023 PrepLadder Private Limited