Jun 08, 2023
When it comes to achieving success in any examination, knowledge is power. And in the case of a competitive exam like the FMGE, understanding the FMGE marks distribution and exam pattern is absolutely crucial.
In this article, we will discuss in detail the FMG exam pattern and marks distribution. By gaining a clear understanding of how the exam is structured and how marks are allocated, you'll be equipped with important insights that will help plan your exam preparations.
Let’s dive in!
The latest FMG exam pattern as published on the official NBE website is as follows
|Exam Format||Multiple Choice Questions|
|Exam Delivery||Computer-based test using a computer network|
|Exam Parts||Two parts, each with 150 questions|
|Number of questions||300|
|Response Options||4 response options per question|
|Duration of Exam||150 minutes for each part|
|Passing Criteria||Minimum of 150 marks out of 300 required to pass|
|Result Announcement||Pass/Fail results displayed on the NBEMS website|
|Number of Attempts||No restrictions on the number of attempts|
As per the FMG exam scheme, there is no provision for re-totaling or re-evaluation of the after the exam. After successfully passing the exam, candidates are not eligible to retake it and violation of this rule can result in the exam being declared void and canceled. Therefore, you must prepare well for the exam before attempting the FMGE.
Part I (9:00 AM - 11:30 AM)
Part II (2:00 PM - 4:30 PM)
|Allow candidates to enter the the exam center and commence registration||7:00 AM||12:00 PM|
|Entry closes at the exam center||8:30 AM||1:30 PM|
|Grant access for candidate login||8:45 AM||1:45 PM|
|Candidates login to read instructions||8:50 AM||1:50 PM|
|Exam start time||9:00 AM||2:00 PM|
|Exam end time||11:30 AM||4:30 PM|
As discussed in the table above, FMG consists of a total of 300 questions divided in 2 parts with 150 questions each. Each correct answer carries 1 mark and there is no negative marking for incorrect answers.
Each subject has varying weightage in the exam. You’ll encounter more questions from Surgery and Medicine, and very few questions from subjects like psychiatry. The table below features FMGE marks distribution -
Pre & Para Clinical Subjects
Distribution of Marks
|Dermatology and STD||5|
|Obstetrics & Gynaecology||30|
Also Read: Latest FMGE Syllabus for Paper 1 and Paper 2
Knowing the exam pattern can significantly impact your exam preparations and performance. Following are best ways to leverage this knowledge for successful exam outcome:
1. Strategic Preparation: Understanding the FMG exam pattern will enable you to structure and plan your preparation effectively. You can leverage the knowledge of subjects, and their weightage, to prioritize and allocate time appropriately.
2. Develop Targeted Study Plan: By understanding the marks distribution for each subject you can assess which subjects must be prioritized and focused on more intensively. In addition, you will be able to create a targeted study plan that specifically addresses your weak areas and reinforces your strengths.
3. Time Management: You can know the time duration of the actual exam only by reading through the latest exam pattern. It is an important piece of information as it will help you figure out how to answer maximum questions accurately in the given time. You can practice time management strategies during your preparation and develop the necessary pace and efficiency to complete the exam within the given timeframe.
4. Mental Preparation: One of the underestimated yet vital benefits of understanding the exam pattern is that it helps alleviate anxiety and build confidence. Knowing the structure of the exam can mentally prepare you for the format, types of questions, and overall difficulty level. It will eliminate the element of surprise on the exam day and allows you to answer the questions with a calm and focused mind.
5. Mock Test Performance: Practicing mock tests based on the latest exam pattern will enhance your familiarity and adaptability to the actual exam. By simulating the exam environment, you can gauge your performance, identify areas that require improvement, and refine your approach accordingly. This will fine-tune your preparation and boost your confidence on the actual exam day.
Always remember, success awaits those who are well-informed and well-prepared. The article above outlines all the key information you need to start your FMG exam preparations. Leverage it to strengthen your preparation and achieve your goals.
Kashika Walia is a Senior Content Writer at PrepLadder. She is devoted to give her readers easily digestible and high-value content that makes their journey towards their dream career incredibly easy.
The most popular search terms used by aspirants