Jul 18, 2023
Microbiology preparation for the FMG exam has always been a challenge for students, owing to its vast syllabus. However, if you take a systematic approach and prepare for the subject with a well-structured plan, you can easily cover the syllabus quickly. To help you ace your exam preparation, we’ve come up with FMGE previous year questions for Microbiology.
Read this blog to discover all the important Microbiology PYQs of last 5 years and strengthen your FMGE preparation like never before. Not only you’ll get the correct answer of all the questions, but also detailed explanations of every question by Dr. Preeti Sharma, our Microbiology faculty (Dream Team) at the end of this blog.
So, let’s get started!
1. Which among the following methods is used to sterlize a glass petri dish?
|A. Autoclaving at 121 degree celsius for 30-60 minutes||B. Hot air oven at 160 degree Celsius for 120 minutes or less|
|C. Autoclaving at 134 degree Celsius for 3 minutes||D. Hot air oven at 121 degrees Celsius for 30-60 minutes|
Answer: Hot air oven at 160 degree Celsius for 120 minutes or less
2. Which of the following is specifically found in gram-negative bacteria?
|A. Capsule||B. Peptidoglycan|
|C. Lipopolysaccharide||D. Flagella|
3. Sporulation occurs in which phase of bacterial growth curve:
|A. Stationary phase||B. Lag phase|
|C. Log phase||D. Decline phase|
Answer: Stationary phase
4. Biological indicator for determining efficacy of autoclaving is?
|A. .Pseudomonas aeruginosa||B.Clostridium perfringenes|
|C. Bacillus stearothermophilus||D. Salmonella typhi|
Answer: Bacillus stearothermophilus
5. Stain used in staining fungal elements
|A. Acid fast stain||B.Gram stain|
|C. Methenamine silver||D. All of the above|
Answer: Methenamine silver
6. A farmer presents with a warty cutaneous growth on his foot. Histopathological image of the growth is given below. Which of the following is the most likely diagnosis?
|C. Chromoblastomycosis||D. Phaeohyphomycosis|
7. A farmer presents with a swollen foot and multiple sinuses as shown in the below image. What is the most likely diagnosis?
|A. Mycetoma||B.Squamous cell carcinoma|
|C. chromoblastomycosis||D. Sporotrichosis|
8. A 24 year old woman presents with pruritic hypopigmented macules and confluent patches over the chest. Skin scraping and KOHpreparation show an abundance of yeast-like cells and short branches filaments like a 'Spaghetti and meatball appearance' as shown in the image below. What is the most likely organism?
|C. Chlamyospores||D. Candida|
9. An AIDS-positive patient came with a history of fever, vomiting, and meningismus. Which of the following tests help in the rapid diagnosis of cryptococcal meningitis?
|A. India ink preparation of CSF||B. Blood culture|
|C. CSF||D. Blood lateral flow assay for cryptococcal antigen|
Answer: Blood lateral flow assay for cryptococcal antigen
10. Identify the dermatophyte based on the macroconidia shown in the image below:
|A. Trichophyton||B. Microsporum|
|C. Epidermophyton||D. None of the above|
11. Identify the organism in the given slide stained with Gomori methenamine silver stain which shows acute angle branching and septate hyphae.
|A. Mucormycosis||B. Acute angled penicillium|
|C. Aspergillus||D. Rhizopus|
12. Which of the following dimorphic fungi causes subcutaneous mycosis?
|A. Sporothrix schenckii||B.Histoplasma capsulatum|
|C.Blastomyces dermatitidis||D. Penicilliosis marneffei|
Answer: Sporothrix schenckii
13. A 54 year old farmer from Ohio presents to a physician with a chronic cough. A chest x-ray demonstrates a mass lesion with hilar lymphadenopathy. Biopsy of the mass and staining with lactophenol cotton blue demonstrates multiple, tiny yeast forms within macrophages as below. Which of the following is the most likely diagnosis?
|A. Histoplasmosis||B. Cocciodiomycosis|
14. Of the following, which organism cannot be grown on an artificial culture media?
|A. Mycobacterium leprae||B. Staphylococcus aureus|
|C.Mycobacterium tuberculosis||D. Streptococcus pneumoniae|
Answer: Mycobacterium leprae
15. If a sample is cultured in LJ media, what would be the staining characteristic of the organism?
|A. Gram positive||B. Gram negative|
|C.Acid fast||D. Non-acid fast|
Answer: Acid fast
16. Which of the following stains is used for the diagnosis of mycobacterium tuberculosis infection?
|A. Gomori Methenamine silver||B. Perl's Prussian blue|
|C. Ziehl-Neelsen stain||D. Masson-Fontana stain|
Answer: Ziehl-Neelsen stain
17. A patient presented with vomiting to medicine OPD. He has a history of eating fried rice. What is the most likely organism causing this?
|A. Clostridium perfringens||B. Bacillus cereus|
|C. Staphylococcus aureus||D. Bacillus anthracis|
Answer: Bacillus cereus
18. When should you perform Widal test in a case of Typhoid?
|A.1st week||B. 2nd week|
|C. 3rd week||D. 4th week|
Answer: 2nd week
19. Which among the following culture media is used in the identification of Salmonella?
|A. PLET medium||B. BCYE medium|
|C. Wilson and Blair medium||D. Stuart's medium|
Answer: Wilson and Blair medium
20. A 12 year old girl presents with severe headache,photophobia and high fever of 101 degree F. on examination, papilledema and nuchal rigidity was present. Kernig' and Brudzinski signs were positive. CSF examination shows reduced glucose, increased protein, and increases leukocytes with the predominance of neutrophils. Gram staining of the CSF is shown below. Causative organism is.
|A. Haemophilus influenza type B||B. Neisseria meningitidis|
|C. Streptococcus pneumoniae||D. Listeria monocytogenes|
Answer: Neisseria meningitidis
21. A 45 year old man presents with fever, headache, photophobia, and neck rigidity for the last 2 days. He had undergone a heart transplant one year back and is on immunomodulatory drugs. A lumbar puncture was taken in view of meningitis which showed reduced glucose, increased protein, and increased leukocytes with predominant neutrophils. On microscopy, differential motility was seen, non-motile at 37 degrees and tumbling motility at 25 degrees. What is the most likely organism causing this?
|A. Listeria||B. Streptococcus|
|C. Staphylococcus||D. Giardia lamblia|
22. The causative organism of bull neck diphtheria is:
|A. Corynebacterium diphtheriae||B. Corynebacterium ulcerans|
|C. Corynebacterium minutissimum||D. Corynebacterium tenuis|
Answer: Corynebacterium diphtheriae
23. A patient has complaints of fever with a mild headache associated with some difficulty in swallowing. A throat examination reveals swollen glands and a thick, whitish membrane over his tonsils which bleeds on scraping the lesion. A sample is taken from the exudate and a gram stain is done, which is as shown below. What is the organism associated with the disease?
|A. Parvovirus||B. HHV6|
|C. Corynebacterium diphtheria||D. Beta hemolytic streptococci|
Answer: Corynebacterium diphtheria
24. A 4 year old boy presents with complaints of fever and sore throat. On examination, he has extensive cervical swelling and a well-demarcated white-gray exudative substance adherent to his oropharynx and attempts to remove this pseudomembranous result in bleeding. The parents report that all his childhood vaccines were skipped due to religious beliefs. A throat swab under Albert's staining is as below. Which of the following is the most likely diagnosis?
|A. Streptococcal pharyngitis||B. Diphtheria|
25. E.coli can be grown best in which of the following media?
|A. Chocolate agar||B. Thyer-Martin|
|C. SDA agar||D. Mac-Conkey agar|
Answer: Mac-Conkey agar
26. The culture media that is used to differentiate lactose fermenters and non-lactose fermenters is:
|A. Bile salt agar||B. Thayer-Martin agar|
|C.Sabouraud Dextrose Agar||D. Mac-Conkey agar|
Answer: Mac-Conkey agar
27. Hemolytic uraemic syndrome associate with:
|A. E. coli 0157||B. Malaria|
|C.Parvovirus B19||D. Bartonela henselae|
Answer: E. coli 0157
28. A truck driver came with complaints of a painless indurated genital ulcer after unsafe intercourse. Which of the following can be used to diagnose the condition in a low-resource setting when an active ulcer is present?
|A. Dark field microscopy||B. Fluorescent treponema antibody absorption|
|C.Venereal disease research laboratory test||D.Treponema pallidum immobilization test|
Answer: Dark field microscopy
29. Which of the following is the mechanism of action of cholera toxin?
|A. Inhibit elongation factor -2||B. Toxin causes increased guanyl cyclase activity|
|C. The toxin causes continued activation of adenylate cyclase||D. Inhibit 60S subunit|
Answer: The toxin causes continued activation of adenylate cyclase
30. An 8 year old boy was brought to the emergency department with complaints of continuous diarrhoea that started 20 hours ago and is rice watery in consistency. He is drowsy and unresponsive. His eyes are sunken and skin turgor is poor. What is the likely causative agent?
|A. Vibrio cholera||B. Toxin causes increased guanyl cyclase activity|
|C. Escherichia||D. .Shigella sonnei|
Answer: Vibrio cholera
While this blog only covers the previous year's questions for Microbiology, we've also crafted an extensive post encompassing FMGE's previous year question papers for the past three exams. FMGE Previous Year Question papers with solution PDFs are also available to help you strengthen your exam readiness.
31. Identify the parasite.
|A. Giardia lamblia||B. Trichomonas vaginalis|
|C. Trypanosoma||D. Cyclospora|
Answer: Giardia lamblia
32. A patient came to the gynecology OPD with complaints of foul-smelling frothy vaginal discharge and intense itching. On examination, the cervix appeared strawberry-like. Which of the following statement is false regarding the causative organism?
|A. It exists in cyst and trophozoite form||B. It is a parasite|
|C. For diagnosis is culture on Lash media or diamond media||D. Treatment of both partners is needed|
Answer: It exists in cyst and trophozoite form
33. A HIV patient presents with persistent diarrhea. Microscopic examination of the stool is given below.Identify the causative organism
|A. Cryptosporidium||B. Cyclospora|
|C. Microspora||D. Cystoisospora|
34. A 6 year old boy presents with lower abdominal pain and diarrhea.Stool examination finding is shown below. Which of the following is most likely to cause this condition?
|A. Giardia lamblia||B. Shigella dysenteriae|
|C. Entamoeba histolytica||D. Campylobacter jejuni|
Answer: Entamoeba histolytica
35. The egg shown below belongs to:
|A. Hookworm||B. Whipworm|
|C. Pinworm||D. Round worm|
36. A child presents with the complaint of perianal itching which occurs predominantly at night and disturbs sleep. Eggs of the causative organisms have been shown in the following image. Which of the following is the causative organism?
|A. Enterobius vermicularis||B. Trichuris trichiura|
|C. Trichinella spiralis||D. Strongyloides stercoralis|
Answer: Enterobius vermicularis
37. Molluscum contaglosum is a:
|A. Adenovirus||B.Flavi virus|
|C. Rubi virus||D. Pox virus|
Answer: Pox virus
38. A 3 year old male child was brought to your clinic with an erythematous rash on the cheek which later spread downwards to involve his trunk and limbs. He has also had a low-grade fever, headache, and mild upper respiratory tract infection for the past few days. The suspected organism contains single-stranded DNA. What is the most likely diagnosis?
|A.Scarlet fever||B.Erythema infectiosum|
|C. Exanthema subitum||D. Rubeola|
Answer: Erythema infectiosum
39. Condyloma Accuminata is most commonly caused by.
|A. HPV 31,33||B. HPV 6,11|
|C. HPV 16,18||D. HPV 16,11|
Answer: HPV 6,11
40. SSPE is a complication of
41. A 12 year old boy is brought to the OPD with complaints of fever, ear pain, and
difficulty in swallowing for 1 week. On examination, there is testicular swelling, and
his jaw is shown below. What is the most likely diagnosis?
42. Oral hairy leukoplakia is associated with which of the following infections?
|A.Cytomegalovirus||B.Human papilloma virus|
|C.Herpes simplex 1 virus||D.Epstein Barr virus|
Answer: Epstein Barr virus
Now that you have reached here, do watch this video for detailed explanations of the above stated questions and gain valuable insights on important topics by Dr. Preeti Sharma.
Don’t forget to read our blog posts on FMGE previous year questions for -
Raminder is a Content Manager at PrepLadder. He has worked in several aspects of the education industry throughout his career and has assisted numerous candidates in cracking major competitive exams.
The most popular search terms used by aspirants