Jul 13, 2023
With the FMG exam just around the corner, it's crucial to make the most of your last-minute preparation. And one powerful strategy to boost your readiness is studying FMGE previous year questions for medicine. To assist you in this final push, we have curated a list of the top must-know previous year questions in medicine with solutions.
Through these PYQs, you'll not only become familiar with the question styles but also focus on high-yield topics that are likely to appear in the exam. This targeted approach will provide valuable insights, boost your confidence, and optimize your study efforts in the limited time available.
So, without further ado, dive into these PYQs and witness your preparation soar to another level. Let's tackle the exam head-on and secure your success!
FMGE PYQs are an invaluable tool that can help develop a comprehensive understanding of the subject matter. Below are 50 must-know medicine PYQs for FMGE that will strengthen your exam preparation.
1. A 30-year-old man is on bed rest after a bilateral tibia 10 days ago. Today he develops sudden onset breathlessness and chest pain. On examination congested neck veins are seen. Which of the following is the best investigation for confirmation of the most probable diagnosis?
|A. Echocardiography||B. Fat Globules in urine/sputum|
|C. ECG||D. CTA|
Correct Answer: CTA
2. A 50-year-old smoker male patient presents with a cough for the last 2 months and recently developed hoarseness of voice. On examination congested neck veins and superficial veins of the chest wall are seen. CXR shows a cavitation in the right upper lobe. Probable diagnosis is?
|Squamous cell cancer Lung||Carcinoma larynx with metastasis|
|Lung abscess||Pulmonary Tuberculosis|
Correct Answer: Squamous cell cancer Lung
3. In patient with bulbar palsy, which of the following is seen?
|Tongue deviation to contralateral side||Tongue deviation to same side|
|Falling of the tongue||Inability in tongue protrusion|
Correct Answer: Tongue deviation to same side
4. Giant v wave in JVP is seen in?
|Tricuspid regurgitation||Patent ductus arteriosus|
|Dilated Cardiomyopathy||Aortic regurgitation|
Correct Answer: Tricuspid regurgitation
5. Child presents with fever for the last 15 days with neck rigidity, LP was done and shows 75% mononuclear cells with CSF sugar= 50 mg (Blood sugar 100 mg/di) and protein is 3000 mg/di. CXR of patients shows upper lobe involvement with hilar lymph node enlargement. Diagnosis is?
|Bacterial meningitis||Viral meningitis|
|Fungal meningitis||TB meningitis|
Correct Answer: TB meningitis
6. Young patient developed sudden onset fever and agitated behavior for 2 days. No meningeal signs were noted. EEG shows periodic focal Temporal lobe spikes.
CSF shows 40 cells with 90% lymphocytes and 10% neutrophils with elevated protein. Which of the following should be started in the patient?
Correct Answer: Acyclovir
7. Female Patient is having fever for 4 days and cannot touch neck to chest. LP was done, and CSF findings are:
Opening pressure= increased
Appearance= White cloudy
Cells= Neutrophils predominantly seen
CSF Sugar = 15 mg/di
Protein= 100 mg/di
|Bacterial meningitis||Tubercular meningitis|
|Viral meningitis||Fungal meningitis|
Correct Answer: Bacterial meningitis
8. Patient present with distended neck veins that increase on inspiration. On further examination a regular pulse is noticed which is visible better than being felt on deep inspiration. There is no parasternal heave or murmur. S3 heart sound is present. Diagnosis is?
|Tricuspid Stenosis murmur||Aortic regurgitation|
|Constrictive pericarditis||Pulmonary artery hypertension due to chronic bronchitis|
Correct Answer: Constrictive pericarditis
9. Young patient develops bout of acute dysentery. He subsequently develops bilateral ascending quadriplegia. Pain and proprioception sensation is preserved. First differential diagnosis is?
Correct Answer: GBB
10. A 6-year-old child presents with a one day history of high-grade fever, loss of consciousness, severe pallor and no focal neurological deficit. Hypoglycemia was seen in lab work up. Diagnosis is?
|TB meningitis||Bacterial meningitis|
|Cerebral malaria||Fungal meningitis|
Correct Answer: Cerebral malaria
11. Most common cause of death in diabetic ketoacidosis?
Correct Answer: Cerebral Edema
12. Drug which decreases mortality in CHF?
Correct Answer: Metoprolol
13. Select the correct components of the Child Pugh score?
|Encephalopathy, ascites, albumin, Bilirubin and PT||Encephalopathy, albumin, Bilirubin, Globulin and PT|
|Encephalopathy, ascutes, albumin, Bilirubin and aPTT||Encephalopathy, albumin, Bilirubin, Globulin and aPTT|
Correct Answer: Encephalopathy, ascites, albumin, Bilirubin and PT
14. A 70-year-old smoker presents with high grade fever, cough and confusion with diarrhea. CXR shows bilateral infiltrates in both lower lung fields. On sputum gram stains, no organisms were detected. Na= 126 mEg/ L, AST-62, ALT 56, RBS -112 mg/dl and serum Bilirubin 0.8 mg%. Which of the following organisms is responsible?
Correct Answer: Legionella
15. Which of the following is the cause of exudative pleural effusion?
|Cardiac failure||Liver cirrhosis|
|Nephrotic syndrome||Rheumatoid arthritis|
Correct Answer: Rheumatoid arthritis
16. Child has developed recurrent lung infections with thickened sputum and CXR shows bronchial wall thickening. He has been suffering from steatorrhea since birth. Which of the following is the first differential diagnosis?
|Cystic Fibrosis||Alpha 1 antitrypsin deficiency|
|Hyaline membrane disease||Malabsorption syndrome|
Correct Answer: Cystic Fibrosis
17. A 70-year-old man presents with right hip pain and back pain. Work up shows Hb = 8 gm%, Serum calcium= 12 mg% and Serum creatinine = 2.5mg/dI. Bone marrow biopsy showing 40% Plasma cells. Diagnosis is?
Correct Answer: Multiple myeloma
18. A 20-year-old patient developed URTI infection and 10 days later presented with periorbital edema with RBC in urine and 800 mg protein/ g of urinary creatinine. BP =140/90 mm Hg and C3 levels are reduced. Anti-DNA-ase antibodies are present. Diagnosis is?
|Nephrotic syndrome||Good pasture syndrome|
|Minimal change disease||PSGN|
Correct Answer: PSGN
19. Female has difficulty in standing up from the squatting position, cannot comb her hair and has Violaceous heliotrope rash around the upper eyelid. The presentation is of the following condition?
Correct Answer: Dermatomyositis
20. HIV positive patient presents with cryptococcal meningitis. Treatment is?
|High dose Fluconazole||LAMB|
|High dose Fluconazole with flucytosine||Voriconazole|
Correct Answer: LAMB
21. Which of the following tumors leads to hyperglycemia, necrolytic migratory erythema with depression?
Correct Answer: Glucagonoma
22. Secretory diarrhea with hypokalemia and hypovolemia is commonly seen in which pancreatic tumor?
Correct Answer: VIPoma
23. IOC for pancreatic Neuro endocrine tumor is?
|CT enteroscopy||D. Scintigraphy capsule endoscopy|
Correct Answer: PET-CT
24. Post-menopausal woman presents with knee pain. Joint aspiration was done and shows needle shaped negatively birefringent crystals in polarized microscopy. The diagnosis is?
Correct Answer: Gout
25. Which is correct about cryptic TB?
|Positive skin tuberculin test and positive CXR||Negative skin tuberculin test and negative CXR|
|Positive skin tuberculin test and negative CXR||Negative skin tuberculin test and positive CXR|
Correct Answer: Negative skin tuberculin test and negative CXR
26. Patient presents with hemoptysis and hematuria. Anti GBM antibody is seen. Diagnosis is?
|SLE||Good Pasteur Syndrome|
Correct Answer: Good Pasteur Syndrome
27. Young patient has sudden onset of severe headache, but he has never had a headache as bad as this one. He is hypertensive but non-diabetic and has nuchal rigidity. Probable diagnosis is?
Correct Answer: SAH
28. Which is correct for management of the condition shown in the CT chest?
|Control Hypertension and immediate surgery||Wait and watch|
|Perform MRI||IV NTG Drip & send home|
Correct Answer: Control Hypertension and immediate surgery
29. A 40 year old man with a 15 year history of smoking ten cigarettes per day presents with an episode of mild hemoptysis. Chest x-ray shows a 3 cm upper lobe mass near the apex. Which is the next best step for the management of this patient?
|CT guided biopsy||Bronchoscopy|
|Sputum cytology||Sputum for AFB|
Correct answer: CT guided biopsy
30. Female presents with a history of taking OCP and headache for last 6 months which worsens on recumbent position and improves as day progresses. Fundus examination shows papilledema. There is no focal neurological deficit. MRI shows raised ICP. What is the probable cause?
|Pseudotumor cerebri||Chronic migraine|
|Temporal arteritis||M. Gravis|
Correct Answer: Pseudotumor cerebri
While this blog only covers the previous year's questions for Medicine, we've also crafted an extensive post encompassing FMGE's previous year question papers for the past three exams. FMGE Previous Year Question papers with solution PDFs are also available to help you strengthen your exam readiness.
31. Patient with ptosis, muscle weakness which increases at the end of the day which gets relieved with neostigmine. Diagnosis is?
|Lambert Eaton Syndrome||Myasthenia Gravis|
|Duchenne muscular dystrophy||Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis|
Correct Answer: Myasthenia Gravis
32. Preferred management of acromegaly is?
|Somatostatin analogue intravenous||Lanreotide Depot formulation|
|Terlipressin Intranasal||Octreotide infusion|
Correct Answer: Lanreotide Depot formulation
33. Which of the following is a feature of hemolysis?
|Decreased LDH||Decreased Haptoglobin|
Correct Answer: Decreased Haptoglobin
34. Patient presents with abdominal pain episodes and recurrent renal stones. A work-up for an x-ray hand shows evidence of a brown tumor. Which imaging should be performed to determine the etiology of this presentation?
|Tc 99 Sestamibi Scan||X-Ray|
Correct answer: Tc 99 Sestamibi Scan
35. A 60-year old presents with a throbbing unilateral headache, nodular thickening along the temporal artery. Biopsy of vessel shows giant cells and granulomatous vasculitis. The likely diagnosis is?
|Takayasu Arteritis||Temporal Arteritis|
Correct answer: Temporal Arteritis
36. 19-year old patient presents with an icterus. LFT shows elevated unconjugated serum bilirubin, normal AST, normal ALT and normal SAP. Past medical history is significant for evidence of recurrent episodes of jaundice since birth. Diagnosis is?
|Dubin Johnson||Gilbert Syndrome|
|Criggler Najjar Type 1||Criggler Najjar Type 2|
Correct answer: Gilbert Syndrome
37. A smoker has developed blood-tinged sputum during cough. On work-up chest x-ray was normal. Which of the following is the next procedure done?
|CT chest||Sputum test|
Correct answer: CT chest
38. Man presents with an 18 year old history of exposure of asbestos. Which of the following is most likely to develop in this patient?
|Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis||Pulmonary TB|
Correct answer: Mesothelioma
39. 70-year old patient presents with a sudden onset of chest pain.ECG shows which of the following?
|Anterior wall MI||Inferior wall MI|
|Pericarditis||Posterior wall MI|
Correct answer: Inferior wall MI
40. A known case of sarcoidosis presents with nausea and vomiting. Serum calcium level - 12.5 mg%. Which of the following is least useful for this patient?
Correct Answer: Mineralocorticoids
41. CLD patient presented to OPD with fever and gross abdominal distention. On abdominal examination tenderness is elicited. Ascitic fluid reveals presence of 500 cells / cu.m.m. Which is the next best step?
|Large volume paracentesis||IV albumin plus midodrine|
|IV Octreotide||IV ceftriaxone|
Correct Answer: IV ceftriaxone
42. Tall T waves, wide QRS and prolonged PR interval is seen in?
Correct Answer: Hyperkalemia
43. A patient has presented with features of cardiac tamponade. Which is a true finding?
|Pulsus paradoxsus is always present||Kussmaul sign is always present|
|Tall A wave is present||Jugular veins column is visibly distended without pulsations|
Correct Answer: Jugular veins column is visibly distended without pulsations
44. 65 year old man presents with excessive cold intolerance, hypertension and slow ankle jerks. He is also having hypertension. Thyroid function test shows TSH of 16 IU/ L and low T3 and T4. What is appropriate management?
|Start at levothyroxine dose 25 ug and increase dose gradually||Start at levothyroxine dose 100 ug and decrease dose gradually|
|Start at levothyroxine dose 25 ug and decrease dose gradually||Start T3 and T4 together|
Correct Answer: Start at levothyroxine dose 25 ug and increase dose gradually
45. A patient has palpitations and episodic hypertension and diaphoresis. Which of the following tests must be done to identify?
|Urinary Metanephrine and VMA||Urinary 5HIA|
|Urinary HVA levels||Urinary Chromogranin A levels|
Correct Answer: Urinary Metanephrine and VMA
46. 6-year old child has recurrent episodes of blinking fast and then staring continuously. Usually, these episodes last for 20 seconds with abrupt termination. Also, there is poor performance at school. Which of the following should be started?
Correct Answer: Valproate
47. Young female complains of feeling weakness in the blinking of the eye, diplopia and having dysphagia. The symptoms increase at the end of the day. The most likely diagnosis is?
|Patterson Kelly Syndrome||Thyroid Disease|
Correct Answer: M. Gravis
48. Correct position of sites of auscultation of heart valves is?
|A - Pulmonic, B - Aortic, C - Mitral Area, D - Tricuspid Area||A - Aortic, B - Pulmonic, C - Tricuspid Area, D- Mitral Area|
|A - Pulmonic, B - Aortic, C - Tricuspid Area, D - Tricuspid Area||A - Mitral Area, B - Aortic, C - Mitral Area, D - Pulmonic|
Correct Answer: A - Aortic, B - Pulmonic, C - Tricuspid Area, D- Mitral Area
49. Patient has RTA and his GCS - 9/15. There is no external site of bleeding visible. IVF fluid resuscitation was done, and the patient is still hypotensive. Which of the following is least likely cause of this presentation?
|Splenic rupture||Retroperitoneal bleed|
Correct Answer: Subdural hematoma
50. A 60-year old man complains of early satiety. Progressively pallor and chronic abdominal pain for 6 months. Bone marrow biopsy showed band neutrophils with basophil count of 4%, myelocytes and metamyelocytes and mature blasts of 9%. Leukocytosis and thrombocytosis as given. Which of the following is correct about the presentation of this patient?
|T (8:14)||T (9:22)|
|T (2:8)||T (8:22)|
Correct answer: T (9:22)
For a more detailed explanation for the above PYQs and their solutions, watch the following video by Dr Deepak Marwah where he discusses each of these FMGE Previous year questions in detail.
You can also explore the QBank FMGE Edition on the PrepLadder app for more MCQs and PYQs to practice.
All the very best!
Kashika Walia is a Senior Content Writer at PrepLadder. She is devoted to give her readers easily digestible and high-value content that makes their journey towards their dream career incredibly easy.
The most popular search terms used by aspirants