The NEET SS 2021 exam pattern will help you to understand the structure of the examination. NEET SS is a national level entrance exam conducted for admission in DM/ M.Ch courses. Around 40% of the questions asked in the exam are from all the eligible feeder broad speciality course(s).
The remaining 60% of questions are asked from the super speciality course selected by the candidate at the time of online submission of the NEET SS application form. You are eligible to choose a maximum of two super speciality programs according to your eligibility.
NEET SS Exam Pattern
There is a separate question paper for each of the super speciality courses. The question paper comprises around 100 questions which will be divided into two parts namely: Part A and Part B. All the questions asked will be at the PG Exit level.
Given below are the major highlights for the exam
- NEET SS will be conducted online.
- The duration of the super speciality exam is 3.30 hrs. The first exam will be conducted for 1.45 hours.
- Four marks will be given for each of the correct answers while 25% (1 Mark) will be deducted for incorrect answer.
- Part A of the question paper weighs around 40% of the total marks.
- Part B of the question paper weighs around 60% of the total marks.
|Mode of Examination
|Type of Questions
|Number of Questions
|Languages of Question Paper
|Mark for each correct answer
||Yes (25% i.e 1 Mark)
|Duration of Paper 1
|Duration of Paper 2
Books to read for NEET SS Surgery Exam
You see the doctors in the super speciality departments and admire the aura they hold. So, some realize during their 2nd or 3rd year of post-graduation, that it’s now time to study for NEET SS. The first question that pops up in your mind is
“Which books should be used for the NEET SS exam?”
Given below are the answers to all your questions regarding the books you need to follow to start your NEET SS Surgery Exam preparation journey.
Books for General Surgery Preparation
1. Love and Bailey — According to PrepLadder’s analysis, various questions have been asked from Love & Bailey that involved important chapters; Neurosurgery being one of them.
Therefore, it is recommended to go through Love and Bailey in between the lines repeatedly.
Make sure to read the 1st ten chapters, cover to cover. Know that every table or box is a potential question. Train your mind to answer four worded statements, the examiner is most likely to tweak one of those lines to form an MCQ.
Other important chapters to read are Transplant, salivary gland tumours and general oncology. Questions in general oncology are generally on gene mutations linked to a particular disease.
2. Another book to read for the general surgery part is Sabiston, Same topics to be read as per Bailey but given in more detail. Moreover, there is an MCQ book by Dr Pritesh Singh that is based on Sabiston’s. It includes system-wise and chapter-wise coverage of MCQs from Sabiston. One must emphasize this book as well along with Sabiston’s Textbook of General Surgery and Campbell’s Urology. It will surely benefit you the most.
3. Review MCQ books like Schwartz, Rusch, NMS series and board review questions are available, in the market. They are good for practice and forming concepts, why one choice is correct and others are wrong.
4. GI Surgery books
For GI Surgery Preparation, let me divide it into two parts
(i) AIIMS preparation
(II) NEET preparation
a) Sabiston — Whole GI, Abdominal trauma, Bariatric Surgery Chapter, Abd wall chapter. Read it three to four times.
b) Shackelford — Complete
c) Blumgart- Complete
a) Main book is Sabiston and some times they ask questions from Shackelford. So it helps if you have been preparing for over a year
Read Devita from cover to cover.
MD Anderson — Handbook of Surgical Oncology helps you understand the topics and is easy to read.
Last piece of Advice:
It is recommended that you acquaint yourself well with topics from Love & Bailey and Sabiston’s Textbook of General Surgery along with MCQs book by Dr. Pritesh Singh i.e. based on Sabiston.
“Opportunity does not waste time with those who are unprepared.”
Hurry! Don’t miss out on this opportunity. There are many online resources available for practising and revising the General Surgery part. PrepLadder SS Dream Pack is one such portal to meet all your exam preparation needs. It’s the Most Comprehensive Course for NEET SS Surgery.
A course curated exclusively for NEET SS aspirants like you to ace the exams and bag your dream super-speciality seat. It includes everything you need - Video Lectures, Q-banks and Test Series. Curated by the best faculty, the Dream Team, this is the most comprehensive course for SS. For more, visit: https://www.prepladder.com/
We hope this blog will assist you in preparing surgery thoroughly for NEET-SS.
NEET SS Preparation Tips
DNB SS: Merits and Demerits
Why should doctors consider a Super Speciality degree?