Surgery is essentially a substantial subject from FMGE perspective owing to its high weightage. It is often not possible to remember everything in the exam owing to the extensive syllabus of Surgery.
Therefore, the selective study is the best strategy to approach Surgery in FMGE.
This article will bring forth the approach which must be followed while preparing Surgery for FMGE
and also highlight the Most Important Topics of Surgery from FMGE perspective.
Approach to Prepare Surgery for FMGE
- Almost 20-40 questions are framed from Surgery in FMGE
- Questions of Systemic Radiology are covered in Surgery. Therefore, you must prepare the Investigation of Choice for every topic.
- You must also develop knowledge of Applied Anatomy while preparing Surgery.
- You must remain updated with the latest BLS and ACLS guidelines.
- Try to prepare Surgery in a Protocol manner.
- In most of the situations, some intervention would have been performed and questions would be asked on what to do next.
Most Important Topics of Surgery for FMGE
Here is a list of the Most Important Topics of Surgery for FMGE:
Surgery can be broadly classified into:
- General Surgery
- Abdominal Surgery
- Miscellaneous Surgery
I. Abdominal Surgery
This undoubtedly covers the largest portion of Surgery:
i. Important Topics & Tips
ii. Gall Bladder
- Thoroughly prepare Different Types of Cancers
- Do not spend too much time on Treatment of Cancers since it does not carry much significance
- Concentrate on Prognostic Factors for the Different Cancers since they are very important
- For Ca Colon, Prepare the Stages, Treatment for every stage, Prognostic Factors and Relevant Anatomy for Colon Cancer.
This is the most significant part of Abdominal Surgery.
Important Topics of Gall Bladder
- Thoroughly prepare Cholelithiasis and Cholecystitis
- Focus on Strictures and the Operative Management of Strictures
- Concentrate on Complications which occur during Gall Bladder surgery
- You must concentrate on Anatomy of Liver since a lot of questions are framed in FMGE from this topic.
- Portal Hypertension : This is a highly significant topic and must be interlinked with Medicine and Pediatrics.
This section contributes relatively lesser questions in FMGE. Therefore, it is less important in comparison to other sections.
Important Topics under Urology
You can also download the list of most important topics for FMGE preparation.
- Focus on preparing Ca Prostate and the Upcoming Treatments for Ca Prostate
- Cover Congenital Anomalies with Pediatric Surgery
- You must not omit Pediatric Surgery. Minimum 1 question is framed from Pediatric Surgery. It is a short, however a high yield topic.
III. Miscellaneous Surgery
This section carries the maximum weightage in FMGE.
This is by far the most substantial unit of Surgery from the examination perspective.
- Ca Breast – Prepare Ca Breast in great depth since it is very important
- Triple Assessment
- Focus on Benign lesions of the breast and their Classification
- Approach to a Patient with Ca Breast
- Thoroughly prepare Stages and Symptoms of Ca Breast and Treatment for each Stage
- Approach to solitary thyroid nodule
- Focus on all 4 types of Thyroid Cancers– Can be covered from either Pathology or Surgery
In this section, you must concentrate on the Basics of Liver & Kidney Transplant with their Indications and Contraindications.
This is a high-yielding section provided that you read the questions carefully. Apply your common sense while answering questions on trauma.
Thoroughly prepare the ABCDE approach since questions are regularly framed from this approach.
v. Vascular Surgery
It is a highly extensive topic but not very important.
- Focus on Varicose veins and its Treatment
- Thoroughly prepare Graphs for Arterial Anastomosis
IV. General Surgery
- Burns and Wound Contamination
- Surgical Site Infection and Nutrition
Thoroughly preparing the above-listed topics from Surgery will help you score good marks in Surgery in the FMGE exam.
Also Read our blogs for FMGE Preparation :
Stay Tuned for More Updates on FMGE preparation!